SQUARE 1896 - 1899
(Scroll across for 'after' photograph)
BEFORE: The original Cross Inn stables on Ammanford Square which gave its name to the village before the name was changed to Ammanford in 1880. This photo was taken in or before 1896 as these buildings were demolished in 1897-98 by Evan Evans, originally from Llanybydder, who came to Ammanford from Tunbridge Wells where he had been in business as a chemist. The building at the top left of the photo next to the barn is now the Midlands Bank (HSBC). Alongside the tree runs the road to Llandeilo, now named College Street. Evan Evans bought Gwynfryn College in College Street after its closure as a school in 1915, caused by the opening of Amman Valley Grammar School in 1914. AFTER: In 1899 Evan Evans built the elegant row of shops which in essence is still there today. The verandah covering the pavement frontage of the shops (added in 1905) was however demolished in 1968 due to its deterioration and the rising costs of third party insurance to cover the danger of injury to pedestrians. The entrance to the indoor arcade can just be seen above the cart-horse's head. The arcade is still there and was renovated in the 1990s. Evan Evans,who died in 1934, is the bearded figure standing second from the right in front of his' Druggist' shop, an estate agent's since the 1990s.
Date this page last updated: October 1, 2010